Saturday, January 19, 2013

Mama's day

Now that I have an EC card and functioning bicycle, I feel like I fit right in (ha,ha). We wake up every morning with the beautiful church bells ringing throughout the town. Many people have asked what I do all day. The kids leave for school at 7:30 and come trickling in from 1-3, depending on the day. In that time, I recycle, grocery shop, study German and work out. The afternoon consists of chauffeuring, cooking and studying.

We sort garbage at home, and then I take glass to be recycled and return the returnables to to store. Yesterday, I returned so many bottles (all our water is bottled) that my bread, eggs and bananas cost me only 0,06€!! Wednesday is farmers market ( photos attached), snow, rain or shine. The best veggies, meat, cheese and fresh pasta sold at the market. I also go to the store 3-5 times a week for many reasons. Our fridge does not store much as it is office-fridge-size (see pic). There are few preservatives or genetically modified foods, so nothing lasts long. Everything is fresh including the yummy bread. However, everything closes Saturday afternoon until Monday, so planning is required. I got hosed last weekend when I forgot to buy bread on Saturday, but I think Monday morning will be a pancake morning.

Since I'm talking chores, this would be a good place to mention clothes washing. it takes about 90 minutes for a washing cycle and the machines are very small- 13 shirts clean 90 minutes later. However, it can really whiten whites, which US machine lack that skill.

Working out here is called gymnastik or sport. I joined a nearby club, called Pro-line. Its interesting how things differ here. First off on my gym tour, I had to keep my composure when they showed me the spa. We were in the women's dressing room and they showed me where the steam room and sauna were. Lo and behold, I ended up fully dressed among many naked (old i might add) men (no pic). I take mat pilates and I have not found a reformer in town. Wasn't Joseph Pilates German? Instead of balls, they have what I call eggs ( pic). I often do milon training. The pic from milon circuit has the green tube in it. The green light and bubbles go for a minute, then there is a pause for 40 sec. When the bubbles come, we work out. Milon is a 48 minute circuit training consists of 10 machines, 2 of which are cardio. I have a individual card that I insert in the machine and the machine sets itself to my setting. No slacking allowed: the machine keeps track of velocity, range of motion, watts and count. In spinning and on many bikes, they have videos of trails. So far I have seen trails from Vermont, Humbolt county, Utah and I think the screen saver is Tahoe! After training, I use the rolling massage machine and invert to stimulate "lymph drainage" as they say. Some stay for coffee.

Although Ill never "fit in" because I am an "auslander", I can function and keep our home/life running.





















No comments:

Post a Comment