Saturday, August 31, 2013

Flying Through the Alps

We had an experience of a lifetime when my dear friend, Beth (Charney) Ulfig and her father Biff Windsock visited us in Murnau.  Beth's dad flies his beautiful 1944 Beechcraft Staggerwing around the world. Beth always dreamed of flying through the Alps with her dad; so she met up with Biff and visited us. We were not only lucky enough to be visited by the Carneys but honored to accompany Beth in realizing her dream to fly through the Alps in the Red Rockette, the name Biff bestowed on his plane after his talented daughter Beth, who danced for 15 years as a Radio City Rockette.

Simultaneously, Carolyn Kelly, another good friend from Denver, traveled throughout Germany. We all met for breakfast and it was fun to have two United pilots, Biff and Doug Kelly, meet at my favorite breakfast spot, Florentina, in Murnau.

After breakfast, Peter, Tobi, Beth and Biff took the tram to the top of Germany's tallest mountain, the Zugspitz. Then the next day, Biff flew Peter around the Zugspitz and found Neuschwanstein.  When I flew in the Red Rockette, Beth discreetly showed me "the (barf) bag".  Biff kept flying with one hand and snapping pics with the other: I repeatedly offered to help snap pics, so he could steer the aircraft with 2 hands. My heart pounded as it seemed that we kissed the Alps from the plane. I must have been green and at least entertained Beth and Biff; most importantly and proudly, I didnt loose my cookies. I knew I could not be flying in safer hands.  It was so cool to see the places in the air that we frequented on the ground with Beth and Biff.



























No comments:

Post a Comment